Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Scalaria pattern

Every year I try to create a new pattern during my 40 in 40 challenge.  They are often inspired by things I discover online and this one is no exception.  While perusing Pinterest I discovered this pin:
which is an amazing shawl pattern available for free from JessieAtHome.com.  I loved the braid effect and thought it would translate well to a hat.   So I decided to give it a go and came up with the Scalaria pattern.  Scalaria means "ladder" in Latin, and when you drop those stitches it looks like a bunch of ladder rungs.

I admit the idea of finishing the hat and then going back and pulling out so many stitches was scary.  Honestly, dropped stitches were the one and only thing that kept me from loving knitting for ages.  I was terrified of them, and now I am asking you (me) to intentionally drop them!  Are you ready?  Here we go!

Scalaria
Patterned created by Ginny Blankenship of Sunflowers at Home

Sz 6 dpn
Ww yarn (I used Crafters Secret from Hobby Lobby)
Optional :  J crochet hook

CO 60 stitches  using long tail cast on evenly over 4 needles, join making sure not to twist  (You must use the long tail cast on for this to work!  Video tutorials can be found on YouTube if you aren’t sure how to do this)

R1-4:  k2, p2
R5 : knit all stitches
Repeat r5 until hat measures 3.5  inches from co edge

Begin decreases
R1: k 8, k2tog   repeat  (54)
R2 and all even rows: knit
R3: k 7, k2tog  repeat  (48)
R5: k6, k2tog repeat   (42)
R7: k5, k2tog repeat  (36)
R9: k4, k2tog repeat  (30)
R11; k3, k2tog repeat  (24)
R12  k2, k2tog repeat  (18)
R 13:  yo, drop next 2 stitches, k1  repeat  (12)
R 14: ktbl,k1 repeat  (12)

R 15:  *pull dropped stitches loose all the way to the bottom.  Take bottom 3 rungs (think of the dropped and pulled stitches as a ladder, so the bottom 3 steps or “rungs’)  and twist to form a loop,  place loop on crochet hook.  Pull next 3 strands through the loop with the crochet hook. Continue to the top.  Depending on how many rows you worked, you may not have 3 strands at the top.  If you end with 1 strand, add it to the previous loop.  If you end with 2 make a loop with those.  Place final loop on right needle,  Knit next stitch,  pass loop over the knit stitch.  K 1.  Repeat from * around
R 16: ssk around.  Break yarn and pull through the 6 remaining stitches to close top.  Weave in ends.

See, that wasn't so bad!  This pattern will remain FREE until the end of my 40 in 40 challenge.  After that I will be creating a video to assist with R15 and the pattern will be available for purchase on Ravelry and this will be removed, so if you want it, grab it before Easter.

If you are interested in more hat patterns, I am currently offering your choice of either my Ellie or my Roots pattern on Ravelry for free using the code 40in40 until Easter 2017.

Creative Commons License
Scalaria by Ginny Blankenship is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Until next time,